Friday, June 4, 2010

Their Back!

The killdeer birds are back. It took the longest time for us to spot the nest.
On Monday we were finally weeding the playground area and we were prepared to be squawked at and swooped at by the daddy bird.
As I was weeding the momma bird wouldn't get up off the nest which was weird and I told Paul that the eggs must be close to hatching or she would be up off the nest trying to draw attention away from the nest. I weeded all around and didn't get any closer than like 6 or 7 feet. I was almost done when she finally had had enough and got up and squawking at me.
So we left her alone for the rest of the morning. In the evening the eggs had hatched and the chicks were learning to try to walk, then the next day by the afternoon they were all gone, shells and everything.

Look right in the middle of the picture and you will see two chicks and one egg.


Whoa, we are in trouble now.

No comments: