Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Brett's First Day of Kindergarten

August 29, 2011


Annual picture by the front door.

Have a good time Brett!


Wow, Brett is in Kindergarten! I am so excited for him, I think I'm more excited than he is. They sure do a lot more in kindergarten these days than when I was in kindergarten! :) I'm not going to say how long ago that was. :)


On the first day when the bus dropped all the neighborhood kids off, I didn't see Brett. So I asked the bus driver and of coarse with all the new kids he didn't know who Brett was, so I stepped up into the bus and saw him sitting a couple of seats back. I called his name and he was like "oh, hi". Dude, this is your bus stop. He thought the bus would go around in the neighborhood and drop him off closer to his house, nope, not on the way home. Make sure you get off here with your friends.

On the second day Brett wasn't on the bus at all. Where was Brett? Ellie and I rushed home to make phone calls. I had my cell phone in one hand calling the school and the home phone calling the transportation office. I knew that he had been put on the wrong bus by accident but I was still worried because I didn't know where he was and how he was handling this situation.


Quickly learned that he wasn't at the school, he didn't get left behind. So I'm still on the phone with the transportation office. Sitting on hold while the receptionist got a hold of all the bus drivers driving his school routes seemed like forever! Yep, they found him on a different bus and the driver was done with her route and was driving him home. Wow, I am so grateful that he was on that bus and didn't get off at any of the stops thinking he should because he was on the wrong bus. That would have been so awful! With a new school, new kids and new drivers no one would have known which bus and which stop. So I'm so grateful he stayed on that bus!


He got home and I said to him that he had had quite the adventure. We discussed what had happened and what he should do if it happened again. Also, I told him that the next day I would be at the school to make sure he learned which bus to go on. He memorized the sign for the bus that he rides home.


The school has kind of a holding place for the kids to line up, there are volunteers out there helping gets students on the right bus as well and the teachers. It was a accidently and someone read his bus assignment wrong. But to help him be ok with it I was there to help him learn which bus line to get in and to say something if a volunteer thinks he should be in a different line.


It was quite the the learning experience for me and for Brett.

No comments: