Friday, February 11, 2011

Fish

So on Thursday the 3rd of Feb. Brett brought home a fish from preschool. I was surprised but I thought that it was a pretty cool thing. The kids had made a little aquarium from a jar and put the rocks in it. The fish was in the bag from the store, so when he got it home we put the water and fish in the jar and fed him a little bit. The kids where excited and honestly I was a bit excited too. I had thought on and off for a couple of years now about getting some fish, now it was done for me.
I had fish a long time ago when I was young and my neighbors had a big aquarium in their living room, but it had been so long since I had been around fish or knew anything about them.
The note from preschool said to give the fish a little tiny pinch of food twice a day, not to over feed because then the fish would over eat and die.
Friday night at dinner, Brett got up to check on the fish and he said "oh, it's at the top". He didn't know what that meant, but Paul and I said pretty much at the same time, "it's dead". Sure enough, the little guy was dead. I think we over fed him, or it was a combination of things. Brett was sad, he cried.

Below is Fish #1

Paul and I decided we might as well just get an aquarium, it would be fun for the kids.
On Saturday we went to PetSmart and got the aquarium kit and info on fish but we didn't get the fish yet because we needed to set up the aquarium, check for leaks, test the water, filter the water for 48 hrs, and heat the water up. Yes, we learned alot that day.
Paul and the kids set up the aquarium that afternoon while I took a nap, yep, I'm a slacker but my cold from a couple of weeks before had come back with a vengence and was taking a toll on me.
Monday night for FHE we went back to PetSmart to pick out a fish for each kid. They had a great time and Trey really liked looking at all those tanks and the fish moving around. After dinner we put the fish in their new home.

Today is Friday, so not quite a week yet, but no deaths to report!

No comments: